Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Size Does Matter

We're hosting Christmas Eve at our house and my husband thinks our island countertop is too small at eight feet long.

We needed a quick and cheap solution. I purchased five 10 feet long boards at Home Depot and to create a plank style countertop. Pictures and details below.

Happy Holidays!


Here's the "before". I originally created this island using some pre-made cabinets from Home Depot topped with a $98 wood countertop from Ikea. 


Here's the "during". I butted the boards together to create a plank style look. I filled the gaps with wood putty. I would later frame the ends with 1"x3" pine boards.




I needed posts to accommodate the new length. Home Depot used to sell these great island legs for $29 each (I used those originally with my island). I can't find them anywhere. I ended up using two deck posts that I cut from 48" to 35". I really wanted to mimic the imperfections in reclaimed barn wood. I have a ton of stain that I inherited from my Dad sitting in my garage. I was finally able to use it by combining three different colors (Minwax Colonial, Cherry and Mahogany) for the color of this counter top. 

The "after". Not bad for one night after work and $95 in supplies, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment