Monday, April 18, 2011

All Hands on Deck

Springtime is here! And that means it’s time to get that yard in tip-top party shape! Some yards just need a quick pruning or power wash to get spring ready. Unfortunately, I don’t have one of those yards.

We’re lucky to have a big backyard. Actually, we have a HUGE yard.  The yard is so darn big that neighbors can probably abandon unwanted pets and dead bodies back there and we probably wouldn’t notice. We’re pretty overwhelmed in deciding what to do, as there is no real landscaping, moss covered concrete and a ratty deck.

So…rather than stress over the yard in it’s sad, messy entirety, I decided to work through it in steps:

Step 1) I’d spruce up the deck
Step 2) I’d get around to hiring a gardener to work on the overgrown grass, trees and weeds. And maybe for a few extra bucks, he’d collect the dead bodies (har-har. That is a joke. I don’t have any dead bodies in the back…that I am aware of)
Step 3) Eventually, I’d borrow my cousin’s pressure washer and clean the concrete

On to Step 1. For three straight nights, I worked on cleaning the deck. This consisted of sweeping any loose debris off with a dry brush, scraping as much paint as possible off the deck, sweeping again and then washing the deck down with mold-off bleach (most online sites recommend using a deck cleaner but this deck had A LOT of mold). After washing the deck down, I let it dry overnight.

By the time the weekend rolled around, I was ready to prime and paint. I used two gallons of primer and two gallons of “Slate Gray” porch paint from Home Depot on the deck. For the railings, I was lucky to find a gray spray paint (ooh, spray paint) in “Granite” that was a very close match to “Slate Gray”.  

By Sunday, I had a nice clean deck.

Before


<>
After

 

No comments:

Post a Comment