Thursday, November 8, 2012

Outdoor Movie Night

A very generous client of my husband's gifted us with a projector. We already have a large television in the house and wondered what we could do with it. We decided on an outdoor movie night.

What's needed for outdoor movie night? First, one needs an outdoor movie screen.

If you go on eBay, you'll find a variety of outdoor movie screens from inflatable to metal frames. These were all out of my price range (an inflatable screen around 10x20" was $3,000!). I decided that I would build my own for $250. I searched online and found a website that sells raw projector material (this means that the ends are not finished and taped off with a border) for a very low price. I bought a 9X16" screen for only $89.50. For the frame, I decided to build it from 2x4's from Home Depot. I bought the lumber in 12" (this made the drive home very interesting). I spent around $140 on paint, lumber, screws and corner brackets.







I'm only 5'1 and even on a 10 foot ladder, I couldn't reach the top of the frame to staple the screen on. Instead, I built the frame for the screen separately. I stretched the material on it and used my upholstery-grade stapler to secure it to the wood.


 I'm lucky my husband works out. With his help, we secured the screen frame to the main frame with 3 inch screws.



 Now that we had the movie screen up, we needed to have a sign. Why? Because all movies need a lit sign!






Using poster board, spray paint and Christmas lights, we now had a movie sign complete with lit-up arrow.



                                      Every movie night needs a concession stand.  




 We had to keep the bright lights off in the backyard so they wouldn't interfere with the projector. My husband strung extra Christmas lights in clear with some battery operated lanterns.  




 Spaceballs in my backyard. An eighties classic! 

3 comments:

  1. Great work!!!
    what kind of materials, did you used for the movie sign? Im thinking of creating one frame, but using PVC to make it portable.
    Im a Mobile Latin DJ in the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT & LI) & this will be a great addition to the business!!!
    Thanks for sharing this,
    Rudy
    www.facebook.com/fabrikalatina

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How many assholes do we have on this ship!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Inflatable Screen Rental New England

    ReplyDelete