Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rainy Day Saturday: Faux Bedframe

Upholstered box spring with legs directly attached. 
I really wanted to remove the dry rot in my deck and replace it with new 2x4s today but it's raining. Rain means all outdoor projects come to a halt and I need to find something else to do. So what did I do today? I decided to spruce up my bed.



I don't have a real bed frame. I have an upholstered headboard that I made last year from a sheet of MDF and a metal bed frame I bought on Overstock.com for $30. I love my headboard but I hate the metal bed frame.







I decided to upgrade the look of my bed by upholstering the box spring and adding legs directly onto the box spring. The legs give the bed height and a more finished look (and definitely more personality than a metal bed frame.

First, I flipped the box spring over. With king beds, the box spring comes in two pieces. I purchased 5 pine boards (6 feet long each and around $3 each) at Home Depot and screwed them onto the back side of the box springs. The boards would not only secure the box springs together but would also provide additional support.

When I upholstered my headboard, I used a panel from Target. Luckily, the panel is a standard basic style they keep all year. I went to Target and purchased another panel for $20. Using my staple gun, I covered the box spring.  


After covering the box spring, I screwed mounting plates into the frame.  The legs would screw directly into the mounting plates. The mounting plates were around $2 each and the legs were $3 each. 


Doesn't it almost look like a real bed frame now? :-)















6 comments:

  1. Love it! How has this held up so far? Is it creaky when you move? Also - do you think burlap will work as the reupholstering fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renee! The bed has held up great so far (no creaks or shaky legs). I think the key to making sure the bed holds up is an even distribution of the legs. I have a king size bed and have 3 legs on the left side, three legs on the right side and three legs down the middle. As for fabric choices, burlap would be a great choice. My only advice is that depending on what color the box spring is, you may want to invest in solid muslin fabric (close to the color of your burlap)to layer under the burlap. This way, the color of the box spring won't show through the burlap. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi could you tell me what screws you used to secure the boards to the boxspring? Length? I also have a king sized bed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you post the link to the panel you used from Target??

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of legs would you recommend? :) We are doing this soon for our new bed and want to make sure we aren't getting too long of legs or too short.

    ReplyDelete